- What is Muscle Provider (MP)?
MP by Beverly International (BI) is a powdered drink mix consisting of high-quality proteins derived from milk and egg.
- How is MP intended to be used?
MP is intended for use as a supplement to the diet by men and women 18 years of age and older who want to increase their intake of high-quality proteins in an effort to preserve or increase muscle mass and strength.
- How does MP taste?
Many consumers regard MP as the most delicious protein supplement available. Vanilla MP has a mouthfeel similar to soft-serve ice cream. Its flavor hints of sugar-coated almonds and pecans. Chocolate MP tastes like freshly made chocolate cupcake batter. The unique balance of protein and non-protein ingredients in the MP formula ensures that consumers will experience no undesirable aftertaste when using either flavor.
No other company has managed to duplicate the outstanding taste of MP or identify the ingredients in its proprietary flavor systems. Several time- and labor-intensive rounds of flavor audits were required before the product was actually finalized.
- Does MP need to be taken with food?
No. MP is intended to be taken on an empty stomach. For the best results it should be mixed with water. This will ensure that it is digested, absorbed and used in the synthesis of muscle protein to the best of its ability. Use either a blender or a shaker cup to prepare. Adjust the level of water to suit your preference for a thicker or thinner protein shake.
- How long can I take MP?
MP can be used every day as a protein supplement to the diet. Before using any dietary supplement it is recommended that you consult with your medical doctor.
- What makes MP different from other protein supplements?
- Content of WPI and WPH: By industry standards, the quantities of whey protein isolate (WPI) and whey protein hydrolysate (WPH) in MP are considered exceptionally high. MP contains more than 35 times as much WPI and 10 times as much WPH as some protein supplements.
- Protein Density: Each 29-gram serving of MP supplies a total of 21 grams of high-quality proteins. That’s 72.4% by weight. By comparison, a large white egg is only 12.1% protein and a glass of milk comes in at about 3.3% protein. MP’s “protein density” (i.e. protein per gram of product) exceeds that of other products by 25% or more. For instance, some top-selling protein powders contain only 50% protein by weight.
- Digestion and absorption: The unique combination and proportions of proteins in MP allow the product to be very easily digested and absorbed without the need for digestive enzymes. Consumers will be happy to find that it does not produce a feeling of heaviness or bloating after consumption, unlike other products.
- Flavor: The MP flavor systems are developed only for BI on an as-needed basis. They are not used by any other company in the world.
- MP manufacturing lab: The top 3 personnel at the lab where MP is manufactured possess more than 100 years of combined industry experience and include a PhD and analytical chemist. According to the NSF (www.nsf.org), the MP lab is compliant with both its GMP and GMP for Sport programs. This means that it has gone above and beyond the FDA’s minimum requirements for a dietary supplement manufacturing facility and it does not produce any products with banned substances. NSF and FDA inspectors audit the MP lab regularly to ensure that it remains compliant.
- Testing: All of the proteins found in MP have been evaluated in clinical studies using human subjects. The anabolic benefits of whey and casein, in particular (e.g. stimulation of myofibrillar protein synthesis, increase in muscle size and strength), are well-documented. In addition, the Quality Control team at the MP lab puts each batch of product through at least half a dozen tests including Identity, Microbial, Protein Content, Content Uniformity, Mixing and Stability. These help to confirm that each bottle of MP contains the ingredients it is supposed to, is not contaminated, mixes properly, and remains fresh and anabolically potent.
- Blending: The ingredients in MP are specially blended so as to gently mix the proteins together without fracturing them. Fractured proteins can quickly become rancid.
- Fresh milk from US cows: The milk proteins in MP are obtained from fresh milk supplied by cows born and raised in the US and subject to USDA guidelines. The cows are also free of BSE, meaning that they are not contaminated with the biological agent believed to cause bovine spongiform encephalopathy.
- Cross-Flow Ultra-Filtration: The original MP formula was invented by nutritional ingredients researcher and BI founder Jim Heflin in 1995 in collaboration with a team of food scientists. After exhaustive research, Heflin and his scientists determined that cross-flow ultra-filtration (CFUF) was the best method with which to extract whey proteins from milk. Numerous precautions are taken during CFUF so as to avoid harming the whey proteins. At no point in the process are they exposed to excessively high heats, for instance. Heflin’s decision to use expensive cross-flow ultra-filtered WPI was considered “bleeding-edge” –so far ahead of its time that it boggles the mind of industry veterans even today. It also shows how strongly he was committed to manufacturing products with only the highest-quality ingredients available no matter what the cost, a practice BI continues to this day.
- Low in lactose: CFUF removes the low molecular weight compounds such as lactose (“milk sugar”) from whey. The result is that MP is exceptionally low in lactose and therefore ideal for consumers with a deficiency of lactase, the enzyme that digests this sugar in the digestive tract. The WPI in MP contains only 1.5% lactose -barely over 100 mg per serving. WPC also contains only small amounts of lactose. When Heflin invented MP in 1995 it was considered the lowest lactose formula available.
- Low in fat: CFUF also removes much of the fat from whey. MP’s WPI contains less than 0.2% fat. Each serving of MP contains only 1 gram of total fat per serving.
- Low in sugar: Each serving of MP contains only 1 gram of sugar. It is very difficult for consumers to find a product as dense with protein and as low in sugar and fat as MP.
- Low in sodium: In an effort to maximize MP’s muscle anabolic potency and overall health benefits, BI insists that its lab keep the level of sodium in the product low. Salt (sodium chloride) is often used in chocolate formulations to enhance the flavor profile. Through rigorous trial and error, the MP lab discovered a particular balance of WPH and WPI that allowed them to reduce the level of salt in chocolate MP dramatically -from 0.9% to 0.1%- while leaving alone its addictive flavor.
filler: Non-protein ingredients (
filler) may be used during the manufacturing of protein supplements in an effort to address flavor issues. This is more likely to be the case with chocolate-flavored products. Adding such ingredients reduces the protein density, resulting in a product of inferior quality. Through intensive trial and error, BI managed to develop a delicious tasting chocolate by using a particular combination of proteins. This has the added benefit of making MP even more protein dense and anabolically potent.
• Does MP have any undesirable side effects?
When MP is used as directed, consumers typically do not experience any undesirable side effects.
• If I don’t perform resistance exercise, can I still benefit from using MP?
Yes. The proteins in MP will support muscle mass and strength and provide other benefits whether or not you currently engage in a regular program of exercise. For instance, consumption of whey protein hydrolysate (WPH) has been found to stimulate muscle protein synthesis even at rest. However, you can expect far greater benefits when using it as a supplement to a regular program of exercise and a diet supplying an appropriate amount of calories. Because resistance exercise is more efficient at stimulating muscle protein synthesis, you can expect greater gains in muscle mass, strength, shape, tone and definition when using MP in conjunction with this type of exercise, in particular.
• What are the potential benefits of supplementing my diet with MP?
- MP contains ingredients that published scientific studies suggest can:
- › Increase protein digestion & absorption
- › Increase essential and non-essential amino acid levels
- › Increase nitrogen balance
- › Increase Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1) levels
- › Stimulate muscle protein synthesis
- › Stimulate muscle fiber hypertrophy (increase in fiber size)(both type 1 and 2 fibers)
- › Increase muscle mass & strength
- › Reduce exercise-induced muscle damage
- › Improve cognitive performance & mood
› Is MP safe for people with medical conditions?
While the proteins in MP have been found to be safe in clinical studies, it is advised that you discuss this product with your medical doctor before using if you have a medical condition or if you are currently unaware of your health status.
› Is MP safe if you are trying to become pregnant, or are currently pregnant or nursing?
Discuss MP with your medical doctor before using if you are trying to become pregnant, or are currently pregnant or nursing.
› Can MP be used while preparing for a bodybuilding competition? What about a fitness or figure competition?
Yes. MP is ideal for athletes who are preparing for any type of physique competition. It is exceptionally protein-dense as well as being low in fat, sugar and sodium.
› Can MP be stacked (combined) with other BI products?
Yes. Contact the BI customer service team for help in developing a supplement stack that will help you achieve your physique and performance goals with a minimum of difficulty. Contact information is provided below.
› Lactose is a sugar and therefore a carbohydrate. If MP is so low in lactose, then why does it contain 3 grams of carbohydrate per serving?
Each 29-g serving of MP contains 3 g of total carbohydrate, including 1 g of fiber. Much of the non-fiber carbohydrate consists of maltodextrin, which has been added to improve the mixability of the product.
› Why is there cocoa in MP?
Cocoa powder is one of the most prominent flavor ingredients in chocolate MP. The MP lab also uses a natural chocolate flavor that is said to be the most incredible tasting of its kind.
› Why does only the chocolate flavor of MP contain caseinate and lactalbumin?
Chocolate protein supplements often require the addition of more flavor ingredients to compensate for the undesirable taste of proteins. However, as discussed above, the addition of non-protein flavor ingredients reduces the protein density of the product, something BI considers unacceptable. After considerable trial and error the MP lab discovered a particular balance of caseinate and lactalbumin that allowed them to achieve a great-tasting product with a high protein density.
› What are the gums in MP for?
MP contains acacia gum and guar gum. Both are water-soluble, viscous-forming fibers. (“Viscous-forming” essentially means that the gums create a thick solution when they are added to water.) Acacia gum, also known as gum Arabic, is considered to be the oldest and best known of the natural gums. Obtained from several species of the Acacia tree, it has been in use since at least the time of the early Egyptians. Guar gum is obtained from the seeds of the guar plant, Cyamoposis tetragonolobus, grown for centuries in India and Pakistan. Acacia gum and guar gum serve as thickening agents in MP and help keep its proteins from settling to the bottom of your glass when they are mixed with water. Water-soluble fibers such as guar gum have also been found to reduce plasma cholesterol.
› What is the soy lecithin in MP for?
Lecithin is used to enhance the mixability and taste of the product.
› How long can MP stay fresh?
If it is kept tightly sealed in a cool, dry place, then MP can last several years.
› Can I mix up MP with water and store it in the fridge for later?
No. MP is intended to be consumed immediately after mixing. If it is left in the fridge after mixing with water, then it will become very thick due to the action of the gums.
More about Muslce Provider: MP white paper
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.