- What makes GS different from other glutamine-containing supplements?
- a. Clinically-proven quantities: Large quantities of glutamine and BCAA are required to produce the effects sought by bodybuilding athletes, such as increases in muscle mass, hardness and overall performance, and faster recovery from training. Whereas some glutamine supplements contain only glutamine, each serving of Glutamine Select supplies 5 grams of glutamine plus 3 grams BCAA. These are the exact same quantities of glutamine and BCAA shown to improve the muscle-building effects of whey in resistance trained athletes (Colker, 2000). Whey is frequently regarded as the most anabolic protein in the world. Subjects in the Colker study who received the whey fortified with glutamine and BCAA gained approximately two pounds more of muscle and doubled their strength as compared to those receiving regular whey only.
- b. Pharmacologically-active form: The glutamine and BCAA in Glutamine Select are free, i.e., not bound to proteins. In this form they can produce pharmacological actions not possible through the consumption of food.
- Though glutamine is abundant in many protein supplements, typically it is protein-bound glutamine, which cannot raise plasma glutamine levels as quickly as can free glutamine. A study published in the International Journal of Sports Medicine (van Hall et al. 2000 found that a drink containing free glutamine doubled plasma glutamine levels in trained subjects, whereas plasma glutamine levels were not affected by the consumption of either a wheat protein hydrolysate (providing 26% glutamine) or a whey protein hydrolysate (providing 6.6% glutamine). Wheat protein hydrolysate is sometimes added to protein powders and other supplements to increase their glutamine content.
- c. Refreshingly delicious taste: Beverly’s R&D scientists used a proprietary cherry flavor system to make Glutamine Select taste as delicious as it is anabolically energizing.
- d. Tested and reviewed for safety and purity: Like the rest of Beverly’s formulas, all of the ingredients in Glutamine Select have been tested and reviewed for safety and purity. The glutamine and BCAA, in particular, meet United States Pharmacopeia (USP) standards.
- e.Less than $1 per serving: Glutamine Select costs less than $1 per serving. Compare this to the potential gains in muscle protein, glycogen, mass, strength and hardness. They are priceless.
- f. Anabolic energy that never “crashes”: Glutamine Select gives users real and lasting increases in anabolic energy levels that, unlike stimulant-containing products, do not come crashing down. This can be explained in a number of ways:,
- i. Glutamine is known as an anaplerotic substrate for its ability to replenish the supply of intermediates in the Krebs (tricarboxylic acid) cycle. The Krebs cycle is involved in the re-synthesis of ATP. ATP is as real as energy gets. Without ATP, muscle contraction stops, as does anabolism and life itself.
- ii. Glutamine is a glucogenic amino acid, meaning that it can be converted into glucose. Glucose is the body’s most important fuel. Glutamine is considered by some scientists to be the body’s most important glucogenic amino acid.
- iii. The BCAA are also an important source of energy. They supply ATP for the liver and muscle tissue. Supplementation with BCAA helps maintain BCAA levels and vice versa.
- iv. Glutamine and BCAA have independently been found to stimulate muscle glycogen synthesis. Per gram ingested, glutamine has actually been shown to replenish muscle glycogen levels more efficiently than carbohydrate.
When can I expect to see results while using Glutamine Select?
Some of the benefits provided by glutamine and BCAA supplementation can occur within minutes of supplementation, whereas others may be noticeable after a few days or weeks.
For instance, Bruce et al. (2001) gave subjects 0.125g of glutamine/kg bodyweight one hour before exercise. Plasma glutamine levels increased within 60 minutes, reaching a peak of 51%. Glutamine increased the supply of Krebs cycle intermediates in muscle tissue during exercise. The muscle content of glutamine at rest was also higher in subjects receiving glutamine.
When football players supplemented with glutamine (0.100 g/kg bodyweight) for 5 days prior to exercise, it reduced the accumulation of ammonia in the blood during exercise (Bassini-Cameron et al. 2008). Ammonia is a potentially toxic by-product of metabolism which has been blamed as a cause of fatigue.
Bowtell et al. (1999) had subjects exercise until their muscle glycogen levels were depleted. They then consumed either 8 grams of glutamine or a glucose polymer drink. Plasma glutamine levels began increasing immediately after consuming glutamine and peaked within 30 minutes, by 46%. During 2 hours of recovery, the glutamine-only drink was found to be just as effective as the glucose polymer at stimulating net muscle glycogen storage. Yet it raised insulin levels less.
Increases in muscle mass and strength while using Glutamine Select, may require several days or weeks to notice, depending on the number of servings consumed each day and other factors. However, being that muscle glycogen status affects not only protein synthesis but also muscle fullness, hardness and vascularity, it is quite possible that you may notice improvements in these things within as little as 24-48 hours.
Stack with Ultimate Muscle Protein?
Yes. As the study by Colker (2000) demonstrated, even a protein with a high anabolic capacity like whey may be made more powerful by the addition of glutamine and BCAA in gram quantities.
If I don’t perform resistance exercise, can I still benefit from using Glutamine Select?
Is capable of providing you with benefits whether or not you currently exercise. However, you can expect far greater benefits when using it as a supplement to a calorically-appropriate diet and a regular program of exercise. Because resistance exercise is more efficient at stimulating muscle protein synthesis, you can expect greater gains in muscle mass, strength, shape, tone and definition when using Glutamine Select as an adjunct to this type of exercise.
Recommended cycling procedures for Creatine Monohydrate and L-Glutamine.