Susan Hunter (BEVERLY Distributor, fitnesswithsusan.com) is a Boot Camp instructor and asked for a good guideline to help her campers choose the best protein supplement for their needs. Here is what we shared with her. Here are the main nutritional stats and ingredients you should be on the lookout for in purchasing a protein supplement.
- Protein: You should look for protein powders (or drinks) that contain at least fifteen grams of protein per serving, but preferably twenty (or a little more).
- Fats: Fats are important too. Without any fats, you won’t get the nutrition you need, nor will you feel as satisfied. While you don’t need a ton of fats per drink, you want at least a few (3-5) grams of healthy fats per serving.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrate grams should be less than one-half the grams of protein. (If there are 20 grams of protein, carbs should be less than 10 grams.)
- Sugar: Should be at a minimum (definitely less than 5 grams).
- High Quality Protein Ingredients: Milk protein isolate, whey protein isolate and concentrate, egg protein. Best vegan sources are pea protein and rice protein.
- Taste is also very important: If you find a protein that meets the requirements above – a great taste should be the deciding factor in your purchase.
That’s why Susan’s campers use UMP!